Thinking about installing new siding for your property? Siding is critical for protecting a building from the elements, while simultaneously boosting its curb appeal. Our experts at Combs Design & Build are ready to help install all types of siding, from vinyl to wood, fiber cement to metal.
We can also consult with clients to discern whether their current siding just needs a few repairs, or if it would be more cost-effective to completely replace it. Learn more about our extensive Columbia siding repair and installation services to enjoy siding that is durable, stylish, and easy to maintain.
Call 443-457-9939 or contact us online to schedule an estimate. Our team is excited to help build your dream space!
Although residents often choose a variety of wood for siding on account of its classic appearance and durability, it is just one of the many types of siding materials used today.
Some other excellent kinds of siding that can be used for homes and businesses include:
- Insulated vinyl
- Manufactured wood
- Everlast composite
- Hardie Board siding
- Corrugated steel
One of the reasons why it is so important to be careful about choosing the right kind of siding is that depending on the type of material, the siding could have a longer or shorter life. For example, if the siding is composed of high-quality vinyl, it could last multiple decades. Wood usually lasts between 15 to 30 years, but it will need to be maintained regularly. With just a bit of cleaning and touching up, aluminum siding can have a lifespan of three to four decades. Proper installation is also critical to ensuring the longevity and performance of the siding. The best way to ensure that your siding will last a long time is to come to experts like those at Combs Design & Build.
What are the Signs it May Be Time to Replace Your Siding?
Siding is an important component of your home's exterior, and over time, it can wear out and deteriorate.
Here are some signs that it may be time to replace your siding:
- Visible Damage: Obvious signs of damage, such as cracks, holes, or warping, are a clear indication that your siding needs replacement.
- Rot: If you have wood siding, look for signs of rot or decay. Soft or spongy areas, discoloration, or fungal growth are red flags.
- Peeling or Bubbling Paint: If you notice your paint peeling, bubbling, or blistering, it can indicate underlying issues with the siding, such as moisture infiltration.
- Fading or Discoloration: Siding can fade or become discolored over time due to sun exposure. This can make your home look aged and less attractive.
- High Energy Bills: Old or damaged siding can result in poor insulation, leading to increased heating and cooling costs. If you notice a significant increase in your energy bills, your siding might be a factor.
- Mold or Mildew Growth: Mold and mildew can grow on the surface of siding, especially in areas with high humidity. This can be a sign of moisture problems beneath the siding.
- Warped or Buckled Panels: Warped or buckled siding can occur due to extreme temperature fluctuations, water damage, or poor installation.
- Loose or Missing Siding: If individual panels are loose, missing, or falling off, it's a clear sign that your siding needs attention.
- Severe Weather Damage: After severe weather events like storms, hail, or hurricanes, inspect your siding for damage, including dents, cracks, or holes.
- Increased Maintenance: If you find yourself constantly repairing and repainting your siding, it may be more cost-effective to replace it with a more durable option.
- Aged Appearance: If your siding looks old and worn, it can negatively impact your home's curb appeal. Upgrading to new siding can refresh your home's appearance.
- Water Infiltration: Check for signs of water infiltration, such as water stains on your interior walls or a musty odor in your home. Damaged siding can allow moisture to seep into your home.
- Insect Infestation: Insect damage, such as termite or carpenter ant infestations, can compromise the integrity of your siding.
- Cracking or Splitting: Over time, some types of siding, such as vinyl, can develop cracks or splits that compromise their ability to protect your home.
- Obsolescence: If your siding is outdated and no longer meets modern energy efficiency or aesthetic standards, it may be time for an upgrade.
If you notice any of these signs, it's a good idea to have a professional siding contractor inspect your home. They can assess the extent of the damage and recommend whether repairs or a complete siding replacement is necessary. Replacing your siding when needed is crucial to maintaining your home's integrity, energy efficiency, and curb appeal.
Reach out to our dedicated project managers today at (443) 457-9939 to ask any questions about our Columbia siding services.